Jobs at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Jobs at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
Jobs at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Programme Performance Analyst
- 4 years of experience in field related to information technology, statistics, environment, international development, project management, public administration, communications, or equivalent experience. An advanced university degree is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a team and deliver on time.
- Experience in communication, data collection, database management and data visualization, and Excel is essential.
- Experience in information technology systems management.
- Good writing skills and knowledge of administrative processes, statistics, project cycle management and results-based management is an asset.
- Ability to identify client needs, and work with them to develop programme solutions and meet timelines for service and product delivery.
- Ability to work collaboratively and operate effectively within the organization and with partners in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic Environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment. Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Sound security and public health awareness; Have affinity with or interest in UNEP’s work, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Senior Programme Management Officer
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of science-based solutions to reverse the loss of biodiversity while restoring ecosystems and their services.
Ability to generate and communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the Subprogramme goals. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
VISION: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction. Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree, or equivalent) in environment, biodiversity or development field is required.
- A first-level degree degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in project or programme management in complex socio-economic settings is required.
- Experience in environmental and sustainable development and policy analysis at the international level is required.
- Experience with UN system, governmental or non-governmental institutions implementing projects/programmes addressing nature and biodiversity loss is desirable.
- Experience in strategic planning and programming for environmental/ developmental programmes is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Note: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and “knowledge of” equals a rating of “confident” in two of the four areas.
Evaluation Consultant for Terminal Evaluation
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
In close consultation with the Evaluation Manager, the Evaluation Consultant will be responsible for the overall management of the Evaluation and timely provision of its outputs, data collection and analysis and report-writing. More specifically:
Inception phase of the Evaluation, including:
- preliminary desk review and introductory interviews with project staff;
- draft the reconstructed Theory of Change of the project;
- prepare the evaluation framework;
- develop the desk review and interview protocols;
- draft the survey protocols (if relevant);
- develop and present criteria for country and/or site selection for the evaluation mission;
- plan the evaluation schedule;
- prepare the Inception Report, incorporating comments until approved by the Evaluation Manager
Managing relations, including:
- maintain a positive relationship with evaluation stakeholders, ensuring that the evaluation process is as participatory as possible but at the same time maintains its independence;
- communicate in a timely manner with the Evaluation Manager on any issues requiring its attention and intervention.The Evaluation Consultant shall have had no prior involvement in the formulation or implementation of the project and will be independent from the participating institutions. The consultant will sign the Evaluation Consultant Code of Conduct Agreement Form.The Evaluation Consultant will be selected and recruited by the UNEP Evaluation Office through an individual consultancy contract.
- Comprehensive terms of reference will be shared with the consultant separately.
- A university degree in environmental sciences, international development or other relevant political or social sciences area is required and an advanced degree in the same areas is desirable
- A minimum of 7 years of technical / evaluation experience is required, preferably including evaluating large, regional or global programmes and using a Theory of Change approach
- A good/broad understanding of sustainable consumption and production is desired
- Working knowledge in a development related organization especially the UN system and specifically the work of UNEP is an advantage.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.