Job Openings at African Centre for Technology Studies
African Centre for Technology Studies
Job Openings at African Centre for Technology Studies,
Job Openings at African Centre for Technology Studies
Our Vision Knowledge for better livelihoods. Our Mission To strengthen the capacity and policies of African countries and institutions to harness science, technology and innovation for sustainable development. Our Value Proposition To conduct high quality research, policy analysis, capacity strengthening and outreach on applications of science, technolo…
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Terms of Reference (TOR) – Entrepreneur in the House
The Entrepreneur in the House (EiH) will bring commercial skill and acumen to package key ACTS projects with near-market potential into viable business proposals and drive their implementation. Reporting to the Executive Director, the EiH will be required to:
- Prepare and implement a commercialization roadmap for projects that have been identified by ACTS as having significant commercial potential and developmental impact.
- In collaboration with researchers, formulate and successfully implement business plans for these innovations.
- Identify further business opportunities from the research activities that ACTS is undertaking and package them into viable business proposals and proposal modalities for their financing and implementation.
- Engage with the investment and development community to promote ACTS commercialization activities and to source appropriate funding.
- Coordinate ACTS consultancy services in support of the above goals.
- Build the internal (ACTS Staff) capacity on enterprise development, commercialization and investment readiness.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- BSc and MSc in a relevant business management subject. An MBA is an added advantage.
- 5 years practical experience in commercialization of technology innovations and/or managing consultancy activities.
- Sound financial skills and the ability to create clear and compelling business cases.
- A good technical understanding and an ability to work with researchers and innovators.
- An understanding of the technology and science commercialization context in Africa is an added advantage.
- Some experience working with STI think tank in Africa.
- Drive and ability to work with limited supervision.
Individuals who meet the requirements should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 12:00hrs on 15th February 2023. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
The African Center for Technology Studies (ACTS) is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages interested parties to submit their applications. Women and the Youth are highly encouraged to apply.
Agribusiness Development Officer
- Develop material, training and advising farmers on matters related to agrifood production, postharvest handling, value chain development, business development and market linkages
- Support farmers and farmer groups in agricultural business planning and entrepreneurship development including development of business models
- Advice and develop strategies and policies related to sustainable agri-food value chain development and integration of sustainable cold chain in their business
- Set up and maintain strategic collaboration with relevant partners in agribusiness and sustainable cold chain and cooling
- Formulating and advising farmers and farmer groups on strategies for value addition through promoting integration of cold chain and cooling systems in farming communities
- Training farmers and farmer groups to identify agribusiness opportunities that can be catalysed by improved supply chain organization through cold chain and cooling technology
- Provide technical expertise in areas of enhanced agricultural production, post-harvest handling, storage, and processing, marketing, and business development
- Lead in the design of intensive data collection to guide agribusiness development including enhanced benefits from enhanced value and supply chain
- Responsible for continuous follow-up with farmers on various aspects related to the project and in ensuring robust monitoring and evaluation of the process
- Generate periodic reports and outputs related to the project
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree with a combination of two of the following fields: – Agricultural Economics; Agribusiness; Agriculture Extension; Food Science and Technology. A Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with expectational experience may be considered
- Have a minimum of three (3) years of demonstrable work experience in agricultural and agribusiness investment, agribusiness advisory services, supply chain management, linkage with the private sector, agribusiness project development, appraisal, and management
- Experience with value chain analysis and development, post-harvest management, and marketing systems development especially for high value agriproducts
- Demonstrated experience in farmers engagement, collaboration, training and capacity building, coaching, building the capacity of value chain actors and in identifying key intervention areas within given high value chains
- Demonstrated understanding of cold chain and cooling technologies and link with value addition and supply chain development especially in value chains such as horticulture, milk, fish among others.
- Value chain development, business development, and rural livelihoods engagements
- Knowledge of the latest developments in advancing best practices in value chain development and market systems development
- Knowledge of certification processes regarding production traceability, sustainability, and calculation of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions
- Experience in implementing programs aimed at increasing the competitiveness, commercialization, and inclusiveness of value chains
- Successful experience preparing and presenting detailed business/financial models in agriculture
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Commitment to gender equality and knowledge of gender mainstreaming principles and approaches
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal based on performance and availability of funding. Interested candidates should send their applications and CV along with the names of three referees by 5th February, 2023 to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Method of Application
Use the emails(s) below to apply