Jobs at Kesho Kenya
Jobs at Kesho Kenya
Jobs at Kesho Kenya
Founded in 2004 Kesho Kenya is a charity offering holistic support for children as they embark on an educational and enriching journey with us from childhood through to young adulthood. Our door is open for as long as we are needed
Main duties and responsibilities:
Transactions and General Accounting Procedures
- Undertake and oversee as appropriate, all accounting and financial activities ensuring they are timely, accurate and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and with Kesho’s Financial Timelines Policy.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Prepare and/or oversee the preparation and issuance of cheques including those for the payment of student fees.
- Develop and maintain accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, petty cash and payroll.
- Ensure effective and accurate bookkeeping and orderly filing systems for personnel and financials.
- Conduct and review with the ED the monthly cash flow.
- Undertake reconciliations on required accounts.
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Maintain the chart or accounts.
- Comply with local, statutory and legal financial and reporting requirements.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Monitor legal issues affecting civil society organisations and ensure Kesho complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Report risk issues to the ED and Board.
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems over accounting transactions.
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage.
- Ensure record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Ensure timely and complete reporting of financial statements, metrics, management accounts, cash flows and other relevant reports to meet the requirements of the ED and Board.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Timely and accurate external reporting in line with relevant contract agreements with Donors.
- Manage and advise ED on financial investments.
- Ensure access of key financial data and reports to the ED and Board through Dropbox.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Support the ED in providing the necessary information to establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and to facilitate the preparation of the annual budget.
- Provide assistance to the persons responsible for preparing budgets for funding applications.
- Prepare and monitor cash balances and cash flow forecasts.
Systems, Policies and Procedures
- Develop, strengthen and automate systems for (a) General Accountancy Procedures, (b) Financial Reporting and (c) the Preparation of Management Accounts.
- Develop, strengthen and ensure adherence to all relevant financial policies and procedures including those for minimizing financial risk
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Timely and accurate processing and submission of statutory, insurance and benefits remittances.
- Provide training and supervision to assistants supporting the accounting framework.
- Prepare all supporting information for annual audits and liaise with the Board’s Finance SubCommittee and the external auditors as necessary.
- Ensure storage and back-up of all financial information through Kesho’s information storage and back-up system.
- Advise on income generating activities and financial services available to the Organization.
- Contribute to the development and oversee the implementation of a strategic and operational plan for the Financial Department, ensuring it conforms with Kesho’s mission and strategic goals.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills , Experience and Personal Attributes
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA minimum Section 2, CPA K is desirable
- At least 3 years experience in a similar position preferably within the NGO sector.
- ICPAK member desirable
Key Areas of Accountability
Data Generation and Verification
- The social worker shall assist in capturing real time data on the status of inclusive education involving local communities
- The incumbent shall drive usage and relevance of the policy monitoring tool in designated communities
- The social worker shall provide feedback from the community on the functionality and importance of the policy monitoring tool
- The incumbent shall assist in all the studies, assessments, and MEAL related functions and exercises normal or ad-hoc
- The social worker shall lead and create relationships with the community gatekeepers to get local buy-in.
Community Engagement, Monitoring and Evaluation
- The Social Worker shall support in curating relationships and conversations with other CSO rallying around inclusive education budgeting and financing
- The Social Worker shall support in building evidence that will contribute to quality provision of inclusive education
- The Social Worker shall become the point of dissemination of relevant data derived from the policy monitoring tool to the local communities
- The Social Worker shall generate quality literature reviews in creating rationales for financing and improving inclusive education
- The Social Worker shall coordinate all community engagement efforts building a strong movement for inclusive education agenda
Community capacity strengthening (budget process)
- The Social Worker shall drive awareness and sensitization campaigns educating people in various communities on inclusive education agenda.
- The incumbent shall embark on community organizing, rallying voices to create a rational for new conversations with political leaders at community and district/county levels
- The incumbent shall lead community and district/county-based advocacy efforts to effect change on inclusive education agenda
- The social worker shall create and coordinate meetings with education-related structures, NECs, media and people with special needs for learning and information sharing/dissemination and resource mobilization
- The Social worker shall assist in engaging national-level stakeholders on funding increment toward inclusive education
- The Social Worker shall create and implement an engagement plan with existing community structures to flag issues concerning inclusive education agenda
- The incumbent shall lead in reviewing progress advocacy and lobbying at community level toward inclusive education
- The Social Worker shall engage relevant local CSO networks/representation to catalyze conversations on inclusive education
- The incumbent shall lead in all quarter and annual monitoring community visits to showcase the status of the project and the agenda
- The Social Worker shall support the baseline and endline survey exercises ensuring full participation of the communities.
- The incumbent shall lead in tracking all the community plans around inclusive education
The Social Worker shall not have any oversight responsibility.
The incumbent shall have a solid reporting line to the Advocacy and Communication Officer present in all the partner organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in the field of social work, social sciences, advocacy, development studies, and related fields from accredited universities.
- 3 – 5 years relevant working experience in a similar job profile, ideally, with respectable experience in community engagement.
- Extensive and practical knowledge on effective and contemporary practices in successful advocacy and lobbying.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Qualified and interested candidates should fill this online form using the link below: and submit a covering letter and current CV addressed to email@example.com Please indicate the position applied for in the Subject field of the Email. Applications and interviews will be done on a rolling basis up until 18th January 2023 at 5pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.