Jobs at Mercy Corps
Jobs at Mercy Corps
Jobs at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a global humanitarian aid agency engaged in transitional environments that have experienced some sort of shock: natural disaster, economic collapse, or conflict.
Energy Program Manager
The program manager will be a senior member of the Mercy Corps – Energy 4 Impact programs and advisory team and will oversee the planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting of specific projects for which he/she is responsible. He/she will also provide energy engineering advice to country programs and consultancy services to our SME clients, including solar PV system companies, mini-grid developers and productive use businesses.
- Provide technical and managerial support to team members towards project delivery and professional development.
- Be a champion for the mission, vision and values of Mercy Corps.
- Promote and encourage a transparent, cohesive and ethical work culture.
- Manage the implementation of project activities according to the objectives, indicators, work plan and approved budget including, staffing, budgeting and internal/external reporting
- Ensure regular and proper project documentation and reporting according to donor and Mercy Corps standards, rules & regulations
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders including local partners, county governments, private sector firms, NGOs, financial institutions, potential donors and other institutional and research partners
- Provide technical support to team members and ensure compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Provide technical advice to early and later stage SMEs, including stand-alone solar appliance suppliers, mini-grid developers, solar home system companies and others.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Business, Economics, Finance, or related degree. MA/S is advantageous.
- At least 5 – 7 years’ experience implementing donor funded projects
- Experience working with small businesses and/or energy SMEs and/or an understanding of renewable energy technologies and business models
- Experience in project development, financing, operation and maintenance of distributed solar energy systems
- Excellent organisation and project management skills. Ability to manage multiple programmes and client engagements, meet deadlines and allocate resources effectively
- Strong financial management skills with proven experience managing large budgets.
- Strong skills in developing accurate and timely reports to donors.
- High level of interpersonal skills and comfortable collaborating with senior level colleagues, SMEs, public agencies, and other stakeholders. Track record managing a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written, and good oral presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders; proven ability to develop partnerships and effective relationships with industry stakeholders including SMEs, investors, donors, and other stakeholders.
Senior Energy Access Analyst
The job holder will be part of our African Programs and Advisory team, which includes professionals from a range of private sector backgrounds, including engineering, project development, entrepreneurship, banking and investment, micro-finance, and management consulting. You will help implement different energy access programs, work with our donors and sub-contractors, advise MSMEs, and support E4I team members in program implementation.
- Support team providing renewable energy SMEs and mini-grid project developers (“Advisory Clients”) with technical, financial and business advice.
- Support Advisory Clients on strategy consulting, investment readiness, partnership facilitation, project development support, financial modelling and capital raising.
- Help to develop Energy 4 Impact’s internal processes and knowledge of technologies, business models, regulatory issues, financing process, etc.
- Work closely with in-house programme teams to implement donor mandates and carry out programme management activities, including reporting both internally and externally.
- Work closely with in-house M&E team to ensure expected results for Advisory activities are measured and evaluated.
- Report to projects senior management team on Advisory activities.
- Support team on Business Development origination and proposals as required i.e. contributing to concept note development, supporting in bid preparation, gathering data and producing presentations for various donors. CAPITAL ACCESS
- Work closely with the CAF team from time to time as required.
- Work with the regional senior leadership team to develop and support the regional strategy.
- Mobilize support services and risk management resources to enable country and regional leadership teams to execute their respective strategic priorities.
- Lead the development and administration of regional and country level reports on key finance, operations and human resources indicators.
- Manage and administer regional core budgets in coordination with regional and global leadership.
- Lead on measurement and analysis of regional key performance indicators to inform strategic decision making.
- Support Mercy Corps global and regional initiatives for human resources, including safeguarding and diversity, and talent development;
- Collaborate with the people team to promote staff access to high quality learning opportunities, with a special emphasis on national team member development; ● Assist with the on-boarding of senior team members, ensuring they are set up for success and familiar with agency systems, procedures, and protocols.
- Reports Directly To: Programme Manager
- Works Directly With: Global Director of Advisory, Regional Head of Programmes
Minimum Qualifications & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Business Management, Economics, Finance, International Development, Energy, Environment, Climate Change or other relevant subjects and a minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Energy project implementation, operations, or financing;
- Financial advisory, management or strategic consulting;
- Marketing or technical support for agricultural and other electric appliances used for income generating purposes;
- Renewable energy development in a humanitarian setting; or
- Early-stage business building as an entrepreneur, investor or incubator
- Research and data analysis in the development sector
- Experience working with rural and off-grid business models and an understanding of the unique challenges faced by businesses operating in Africa
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.