Jobs at United Nations Office at Nairobi
United Nations Office at Nairobi
Jobs at United Nations Office at Nairobi,
Jobs at United Nations Office at Nairobi
United Nations and regional organizations; provides administrative and other support services to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat); provides joint and common services to other organizations of the United Nations system in Kenya, as applicable; and manages and implements the program…
Senior Finance and Budget Assistant
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment; Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations; Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems; The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Committed to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- High school diploma or completion of secondary school is required. Supplemental courses/ training in finance, administration, project management or related field is required. A recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) is desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST. The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
- A minimum of Ten (10) years of experience in finance, budget or related area is required.
- Experience with the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and finance system such as Oracle or SAP and experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable.
- Experience with integrated business processes, analytics and reporting is desirable.
- Work experience of one (1) year or more in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; and knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is also an advantage.
“NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of and hands on experience in clinical medicine. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Medicine, Surgery or Public health (M.Med/ MPH) or in a related clinical area is required. A first-level university degree (bachelor’s in medicine and Surgery, MBChB) in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree. Must be Registered with Kenya Medical and Dental Practitioners Board. Proficiency in computer skills, particularly in MS Office software and use of databases, is required. Certification in occupational health and safety is desirable.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in clinical medical practice in field environment, hospital environment, pre-hospital environment or related area is required.
- At least two (2) years experience working in Accident and Emergency Unit, Intensive Care Unit or Aeronautical medicine is required.
- Experience in managing infectious diseases is desirable.
- Experience in occupational health and safety at the work place setting is desirable.
- Experience in counseling and/or stress management is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English and fluency in Swahili or Kiswahili is required. Knowledge of a second UN official language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.