Latest Job Opening at Gulf African Bank
Gulf African Bank
Responsible for the Bank’s database management and coordination of changes to computer databases, testing and implementing databases using database management systems.
- Confirm Backup was done and done to completion first thing in the morning
- Check on space availability in the database, if none free up some space for day-to-day activities.
- Ensure database availability as well as ensure its performance is at its very best by performance tuning if it is not performing as is required.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database parameters, using manuals and calculators.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of the database.
- Review workflow charts developed by programmer analysts to understand tasks the computer will perform, such as updating records.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Develop reports as required by the business that includes CBK reports and ad hoc reports as required by the business.
- Review procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to the database.
- Monitor database performance throughout the day, in case of any abnormality attend to it as soon as possible
- Test programs or databases, correct errors and make necessary modifications.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems, such as the installation of new databases.
- Train users and answer questions.
- Develop standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Put in place security measures to protect Bank’s Data by applying approved DB security standards.
- Report Database risk events and service exceptions.
- Research on emerging Database technologies and innovations to improve the Bank’s DB offerings in line with change management process.
- Participate in BCP strategies formulations and continuous reviews.
Qualifications And Experience
- University degree in sciences, mathematics, computer science or telecommunication/electronics engineering
- 6 years’ experience in database management, preferably in a Bank
- Expert DBA skills for 11g including extensive experience in implementing DB architecture using Oracle RAC, SQL. Oracle database Certifications
- Oracle Database management Certifications.
- Microsoft Certifications.
- Knowledge of operating systems (UNIX, SUN, AIX, Linux, Windows)
Job Specific Competencies
- Excellent database management & system analysis skills.
- Analytical ability and out of box (innovative) thinking.
- Excellent communication skills. (Should be able to communicate with non IT users as well).
- Flexibility in handling tasks (multi -tasking).
- Well organized and should be aware of project management methodology.
- Software Development Life Cycle experience
- Available for occasional work outside normal business hours
- Critical thinking – is able to probe facts and challenge assumptions
- Results oriented and committed to meeting turn-around times/deadlines
- A keen eye for detail
- High energy
- High levels of professionalism and professional development