Latest Job Opening at the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary
the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary
Human Resources Officer
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of human resources policies, practices and procedures and ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
JUDGEMENT/DECISION-MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in human resources management, business or public administration, social sciences, education, or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
The candidate selected for this position will perform significant functions in the management of human resources, s/he is required to provide certificates of successful completion of below listed courses available in Inspira before reporting for duties.
- Human Resources Management- (www.inspira.un.org)
- Umoja Administration of Personnel Contracts (LMS- 1745)
- Handling Disputes and Complaints (LMS- 1819)
- Introduction to Workforce Planning in UN Field Missions (LMS-2233)
- Introduction to Recruitment in UN Field Missions (LMS-2163)
- Delegation of HRM Authority to UN Field Missions (LMS-2187)
- Fundamentals of Field HR Certification (LMS-2226
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration or related area is required
- Practical experience with the planning and delivery of human resources services is required.
- Experience in a Mission Support setting is desirable.
- Experience working with international or multi-national organizations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required and knowledge of French is desirable.