Nurse Needed at Action Against Hunger International
Action Against Hunger International
Nurse Needed at Action Against Hunger International,
Nurse Needed at Action Against Hunger International
Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International (ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. Helen Keller International (HKI) was founded in 1915 and is dedicated…
Summary of position
Provide nursing care, treatment, and follow-up for children suffering from severe malnutrition, according to national protocols, universal hygienic standards, and other procedures, in order to ensure a good delivery of care and improve their nutritional conditions.
The nursing officer role is to support the implementation of mental health psycho-social support and SGBV project interventions in Banisa and Mandera south Mandera County that are geared towards addressing SRHR and gender among vulnerable populations through a multi-sector integrated approach.
- The nursing officer works with other program staff, and the field coordinator and ensures project activities are implemented according to the plans and specifications.
- The position holder is expected to participate in coordination meetings at the County level with the DoH and partners including the Gender and protection working group, Multi-sectoral meetings, MHPSS technical meetings, and coordinate with other NGOs, UNICEF, WFP, other partners, MOH at County and sub-county level.
- Represent the organization in the county coordination forums, Multi-sector Platforms and work with other partners at the county to build synergies with Action Against Hunger programming
Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules, and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene in his/her working environment.
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/ daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements, and comfort.
- Carry out admission, surveillance, and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situations or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners, and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with a special focus on following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring teamwork.
- Participate in department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients’ files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- For ER and OPD nurses, ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards, or during emergencies, detect the priority acute/emergency cases, carry out first aid care when necessary and refer them to the doctor.
- Identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization.
- Participate in the hospital platforms, departmental meetings, and quality control activities like death audits, case reviews, prescription audits, etc.
- Ensure the registration of day-to-day consumption according to the procedure in place including proper cold chain management and maintenance in the department.
- EPREP team member: Assist in response to emergencies within the project or as required.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelor Degree/Diploma in Nursing and at least two years of working experience in a health facility with maternity services
Required Skills & Competencies
- Good teamwork, flexibility, punctuality, good communication skills, commitment to service, ability to cope in stressful situations, precision, capacity to share knowledge and train colleagues, basic computer skill (MS excel and word)
- Good command of English (essential) and Local Language (desirable).