RBA SART Intern (Remote Work Internship) at UNDP
RBA SART Intern (Remote Internship)
Application Deadline :21-May-23 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left :0d 9h 27m
Type of Contract :Internship
Post Level :InternLanguages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)-29-May-2023
Duration of Initial Contract :3 months
Expected Duration of Assignment :3 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Regional Bureau for Africa (RBA) leads the work of the United Nations Development Programme in the Sub-Saharan African region to implement the organization’s Strategic Plan, driven by the vision to eliminate poverty and significantly reduce inequalities and exclusion. UNDP provides proactive strategic oversight and support to forty-six country offices in Africa by responding to their demand for operations, policy and programme advice, in partnership with Central Bureaus. In line with UNDP’s Strategic Offer for Africa, UNDP supports countries in Africa to address multiple interrelated challenges that are impairing the ability of Africa to further advance human development amidst high levels.
The Strategy, Analysis and Research Team (SART) provides strategic analysis and upstream policy advice to RBA management and programme countries in sub-Saharan Africa through intellectual leadership on key development issues in the region. SART’s focus areas include data analysis and measurement, strategic policies, and knowledge production.
We are seeking a highly qualified Data Analyst Intern to join our team for a period of 3 months. The ideal candidate will be responsible for extracting, transforming, and loading economic data from various sources using Python. They will also be required to sort and store the data in a structured and organized manner. The intern will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects related to economic development, data analysis, visualization, and reporting.
The intern will be supervised and report to the Chief, SART. The internship is for 3 months, extendable to a maximum of 4 months. The internship is a full-time internship and is not paid (however, a stipend is provided). Interns work five days per week (35 hours).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Extracting data from various sources such as APIs, databases and websites using Python libraries and tools
- Transforming data to ensure its accuracy, consistency, and relevance for analysis and reporting.
- Perform cleaning processes to remove any duplicates, missing values, and outliers.
- Loading data into appropriate storage systems such as SQL databases, Excel sheets, and CSV files.
- Conducting web scraping and data mining activities to gather relevant information from public sources such as IMF, World Bank, UNDP.
- Developing and maintaining economic data pipelines using Python scripting and automation tools.
- Strong knowledge of Python programming language and related libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, and Beautiful Soup.
- Familiarity with data storage systems such as SQL databases, Excel sheets, and CSV files.
- Knowledge of ETL processes and techniques for data integration and transformation
- Knowledge and experience working with Power BI is an asset.
- Having a public portfolio on GitHub showcasing relevant projects would be useful, but it is not required to apply.
- Able to take initiative and work independently, with minimum supervision,
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty,
- Excellent quantitative skills,
- Proven ability to manage diverse and complex tasks, with tight deadlines,
- Commitment to the UNDP vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals,
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a related field.
- Enrolled in Master’s or Doctorate program in a relevant discipline (e.g. computer science, information technology, data science, economics, development economics).
- Previous work experience with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) processes
- Extensive knowledge Python Data manipulation libraries
- Experience with web scraping and data mining techniques
- Previous work experience with Microsoft Power BI will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in economic analysis is an asset but not required.
- Strong English language skills (oral and written)
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship,
- UNDP offers a modest monthly stipend to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station,
- All other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government, or institution,
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship,
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed,
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship,
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan,
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
RBA SART Intern (Remote Internship) at UNDP